welcome

Welcome to this blog. I hope it becomes a useful and interesting tool.

miércoles, 10 de enero de 2018

ING/TO INFINITIVE. 2ND BACH

ING form.  WRITE
SIMPLE ING

PERFECT ING

SIMPLE PASSIVE ING

PERFECT PASSIVE ING



INFINITIVE
SIMPLE

PERFECT

SIMPLE PASSIVE

PERFECT PASSIVE

Common verbs followed by –ing nouns are:

Verbs of liking and disliking:

  • detest
  • dislike
  • enjoy
  • hate
  • fancy
  • like
  • love
I love swimming but I hate jogging.
They always enjoyed visiting their friends.
A: Do you fancy going for a walk?
B: I wouldn’t mind

Phrases with mind:

  • wouldn’t mind (= would like)
  • don’t mind (= I am willing to)
  • would you mind (= will you please…?)
I wouldn’t mind having some fish and chips.
I don’t mind waiting for a few minutes.
Would you mind holding this for me?

Verbs of saying and thinking:

  • admit
  • consider
  • deny
  • imagine
  • remember
  • suggest
Our guide suggested waiting until the storm was over.
Everyone denied seeing the accident.

Other common verbs are:

  • avoid
  • begin
  • finish
  • keep
  • miss
  • practise
  • risk
  • start
  • stop
I haven’t finished writing this letter.
Let’s practise speaking English.

Passive form of -ing

Many of these verbs are sometimes followed by the passive form of -ing: being + past participle
I don’t like being interrupted.
Our dog loves being stroked under the chin.

Noun + -ing clause

Some verbs are followed by a noun and an -ing clause:
Verbs to do with the senses:
  • see
  • watch
  • hear
  • smell
  • listen to
  • etc.
We saw everybody running away.
I could hear someone singing.
Other common verbs:
  • catch
  • find
  • imagine
  • leave
  • prevent
  • stop
I caught someone trying to break into my house.
We couldn’t prevent them getting away.
Verb + infinitive
  • I want to speak to the manager.
  • She’s learning to ride a horse.
  • He offered to help us wash up.
Want’, ’learn’ and ‘offer’ are followed by to + infinitive

Other verbs in this group include: afford, agree, ask, choose, decide, expect, hope, prepare,promise, pretend, refuse, would like.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario