welcome

Welcome to this blog. I hope it becomes a useful and interesting tool.

lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014

GLOBAL CLASSROOM. DEBATES

DEBATING

At the Global Classrooms Conference, you will take part in debates and discussions. These are very important for coming up with a resolution for your issue!


There are THREE types of debates used at the Global Classrooms Conference:

1. A Formal Debate - Delegates´ names are written on a Speakers List. Delegates speak for a certain time. This is the "default" type of debate. Usually the conference starts with this type of debate. 


2. A Moderated Caucus  - A type of caucus in which delegates remain seated and the Chair calls on them one at a time to speak for a short period of time. This allows a freer exchange of opinions than would be possible in a formal debate. 

3. . An Unmoderated Caucus - A type of caucus in which delegates leave their seats to mingle and speak freely for a limited amount of time. This allows for the free sharing of ideas. This is a great time to make friends with other member states and start brainstorming resolutions! 


FLOW OF THE DEBATE:
  1. Roll Call: Chair calls on each country and delegates say present
  2. Formal Debate: During this time delegates try to convince other delegates to support their decision, they form blocs, and they write draft resolutions.
  3. If there is a motion, the committee can move into moderated or unmoderated caucus.
  4. Closure of Debate:
    1. Debate ends of the speakers list is exhausted (there aren´t any new names on the speakers list). Committee moves into a vote.
    2. A delegate can make a motion to close the debate on a topic (but only if a draft resolution exists!)
  5. The Committee votes on amendments or resolutions. Use a group or a roll call vote.


Below is an example of the beginning of a conference and the flow of a FORMAL DEBATE:

USEFUL PHRASES FOR DEBATING

Stating an opinion 
In my opinion...
I think that...
I feel that...
I believe that...
It seems to me that...
If you ask me...
I'd say that...
The point is...
As I see it...

Asking someone to repeat or explain 
I don't understand what you mean
Would you explain that, please?
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand your point.
Could you give an example?
What do you mean by...?

Agreeing with someone 
You're right
I think so, too
I agree with you
You could be right
I couldn't agree more
That's a good point
I see what you mean
That's just what I was thinking
I agree entirely
You know, that's exactly what I think

Disagreeing with someone 
Yes, but...
I'm sorry but I have to disagree there
That's not the point
No, I think you're wrong
I can't agree with you there
Up to a point, but...
Yes, that's quite true, but...
I'm not sure I quite agree
Well, you have a point there, but...
Perhaps, but don't you think that...
I see what you mean, but...
I totally disagree with you there

Persuading someone 
You must admit that...
Do you really believe that...?
Don't you think that...?
Don't you agree that...?
Wouldn't you say that the reverse is also true?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario